Updated
Updated · The Spirits Business · Jul 27
Brown-Forman Rejects Sazerac's $15 Billion Offer as Jack Daniel's Owner Defends Family-Controlled Future
Updated
Updated · The Spirits Business · Jul 27

Brown-Forman Rejects Sazerac's $15 Billion Offer as Jack Daniel's Owner Defends Family-Controlled Future

3 articles · Updated · The Spirits Business · Jul 27

Summary

  • Brown-Forman said it rejected an unsolicited acquisition approach from Sazerac, confirming months of takeover speculation around the Jack Daniel's owner.
  • Wolf Pen Branch — Brown family members controlling most Class A voting shares — said the proposal did not fit Brown-Forman's long-term vision or shareholder value plans.
  • The board said it remains focused on geographic expansion, brand building and efficiency improvements while searching for a new CEO after Lawson Whiting announced his retirement last month.
  • The rebuff follows a May report that Sazerac had floated a roughly $15 billion bid, as Brown-Forman grapples with flat organic sales, weaker Tequila demand and a sharp hit to its Canadian business.
  • Sazerac has been expanding aggressively through recent deals in Tequila, RTD cocktails and vodka, underscoring consolidation pressure in U.S. spirits even as Brown-Forman sticks to independence.

Insights

With Sazerac's massive bid rejected, who is the next target in the ruthless battle for dominance over America's whiskey capital?
Why did the Jack Daniel's owner walk away from a $15 billion cash lifeline amidst a looming CEO transition and slowing sales?