Updated
Updated · KATU · Jul 31
Trail Blazers Reject Portland's $600 Million Moda Center Term Sheet as August 12 Vote Nears
Updated
Updated · KATU · Jul 31

Trail Blazers Reject Portland's $600 Million Moda Center Term Sheet as August 12 Vote Nears

3 articles · Updated · KATU · Jul 31

Summary

  • Trail Blazers executives told Portland City Council the city's Moda Center term sheet is a "non-starter," saying negotiations have turned adversarial even as the team remains at the table.
  • More than 20 material departures from the state-backed framework and language in the bridge lease requiring a "first-class" arena are driving the dispute, with the team arguing litigation risk is blocking fuller financial disclosures.
  • Mayor Keith Wilson said the city has never contemplated suing the Blazers, and council leaders said they will not amend the bridge agreement before negotiating a long-term lease.
  • Councilors pressed the team for specifics on the roughly $600 million renovation, but the Blazers said no architect has been hired and final design will wait until funding is secured.
  • August 5-6 public testimony and an August 12 council vote are still scheduled, with Council President Jamie Dunphy calling the gap "pretty significant" but saying a deal still has to be reached.

Insights

With talks previously off track, can Portland secure the massive Moda Center deal before the Trail Blazers consider leaving the city?
How will taxpayers shoulder the $120 million city funding gap for the arena renovation without sacrificing essential public services?