Updated
Updated · The Guardian · Aug 1
Trump Administration Subpoenas NYT Reporter for 2 Years of North Korea Sources
Updated
Updated · The Guardian · Aug 1

Trump Administration Subpoenas NYT Reporter for 2 Years of North Korea Sources

3 articles · Updated · The Guardian · Aug 1

Summary

  • FBI agents delivered a Virginia grand jury subpoena to freelance New York Times reporter Matthew Cole at his New York home, demanding two years of contacts and sources tied to reporting on a failed secret North Korea mission.
  • The previously unreported subpoena shows the administration pressing ahead with leak investigations centered on national security reporting, even after the Justice Department withdrew separate subpoenas to Times journalists last month.
  • Matthew Cole's lawyer, David A. O’Neil, said Cole would fight the demand, calling it a brazen attack on journalists and saying he would protect his sources.
  • The subpoena fits a broader Trump-era push against unauthorized disclosures that has also targeted Wall Street Journal and Washington Post reporters, though Trump says investigators are pursuing leakers, not the press.

Insights

How will a former top DOJ official defend a journalist against the very investigative tactics he once oversaw?
Could the recent lifting of federal restrictions on seizing reporters' records permanently silence national security whistleblowers?
What are the hidden consequences of exposing a covert military operation that resulted in civilian casualties?