Updated
Updated · Fox News · Aug 2
Brian Romero Deletes $2,000 GoFundMe After Backlash Over Rent and Groceries
Updated
Updated · Fox News · Aug 2

Brian Romero Deletes $2,000 GoFundMe After Backlash Over Rent and Groceries

2 articles · Updated · Fox News · Aug 2

Summary

  • $2,000 was the target of a GoFundMe that Queens Assembly nominee Brian Romero deleted Friday after criticism and a New York Post inquiry; he later called launching it “a mistake.”
  • Romero said he left his state Senate adviser job after ethics guidance tied to his Assembly candidacy, burned through savings and could not collect unemployment while waiting to take office.
  • More than $1,000 from 13 donors had been pledged before the page came down, but Romero said he kept none of it and instead turned to friends for financial help.
  • The backlash was sharpened by Romero’s political position: he is expected to win the deep-blue 34th District in November and would then receive the Assembly’s $142,000 annual salary.
  • State payroll records cited by the Post show Romero earned $106,469 last year, adding to scrutiny over what an ethics watchdog said was an unusual public appeal from a lawmaker-elect.

Insights

Why would a future lawmaker with a guaranteed six-figure salary resort to crowdfunding for his basic rent and groceries?
Could the public backlash against a deleted GoFundMe expose a critical flaw in how our political transition periods are funded?
What hidden financial traps do strict ethics rules create for candidates forced to quit their jobs before taking office?