Updated
Updated · KCRA Sacramento · Aug 4
Sac City Unified Appeals Rejection of $158 Million Solvency Plan to State Superintendent
Updated
Updated · KCRA Sacramento · Aug 4

Sac City Unified Appeals Rejection of $158 Million Solvency Plan to State Superintendent

3 articles · Updated · KCRA Sacramento · Aug 4

Summary

  • Tuesday’s special board meeting centers on authorizing an appeal to the state superintendent after Sacramento County’s education office rejected the district’s solvency plan on July 31.
  • The $158 million plan, approved unanimously last week, paired a hiring freeze and proposed cuts with a teachers contract through June 2030 that district leaders said would unlock $97 million.
  • County officials said the package relied on shifting assets between accounts, tapping the retiree health trust and other existing funds, and would reduce long-term financial flexibility while increasing future costs.
  • District leaders and the teachers union blasted the rejection and are scrambling for an alternative that avoids state receivership and preserves local control.

Insights

Will Sacramento's school district lose its local control to a state takeover over a rejected $158 million financial plan?
Could looming federal Medicaid changes completely derail the school district's desperate attempt to avoid state receivership?
Are accounting maneuvers masking a deeper financial crisis that will ultimately force the Sacramento school district into collapse?