Updated
Updated · BBC.com · Aug 10
Dakota Ditcheva Breaks Both Hands Again in 16th Win, Extending PFL Layoff Risk
Updated
Updated · BBC.com · Aug 10

Dakota Ditcheva Breaks Both Hands Again in 16th Win, Extending PFL Layoff Risk

3 articles · Updated · BBC.com · Aug 10

Summary

  • Dakota Ditcheva said she fought most of her unanimous-decision win over Denise Kielholtz with two broken hands, feeling the damage from the start of round two.
  • The 28-year-old is back in splints and awaiting her surgeon's next steps after returning for her first fight in just over a year.
  • One break was a repeat injury in the hand she chose not to have surgery on last year; the other was a smaller fracture that "didn't hold up so well," she said.
  • The setback interrupts the momentum of one of PFL's biggest stars, who improved to 16-0 after outstriking Kielholtz 102-64.
  • Ditcheva, the 2024 PFL flyweight champion who won $1 million, said she expects this absence to be shorter than her previous layoff.

Insights

Will Dakota Ditcheva's dangerous gamble to fight with a shattered hand ultimately cost her the highly anticipated showdown with Liz Carmouche?
Why was an undefeated MMA star allowed to step into the cage with a known, unoperated broken hand in the first place?
Could hiding a severe mid-fight injury be the heroic but reckless move that permanently derails this rising flyweight's career?