Updated
Updated · NBC New York · Aug 11
Operator Charged in NYC Boat Capsize That Killed 2, Released on $50,000 Bail
Updated
Updated · NBC New York · Aug 11

Operator Charged in NYC Boat Capsize That Killed 2, Released on $50,000 Bail

3 articles · Updated · NBC New York · Aug 11

Summary

  • $50,000 bail freed Manuel Hernandez after federal charges accused him of misconduct and neglect in a New York Harbor capsizing that killed 27-year-old Sara Sanchez and her 5-month-old daughter.
  • A criminal complaint says Hernandez piloted a 22-foot boat carrying 14 people—over its 10-person limit—made a U-turn into a swell near the Statue of Liberty and accelerated before the bow swamped and the vessel flipped.
  • Prosecutors said Hernandez was unlicensed, was running a charter without telling the boat's owner, and took an infant aboard without child-sized life vests; he faces up to 20 years in prison if convicted on both counts.
  • Survivor Elizabeth Velez said the church group had been celebrating a birthday for more than three hours when the boat overturned in seconds, leaving all 14 people underwater before 12 were rescued.
  • The deaths left Sanchez's husband and the baby's father among the survivors, while a fundraising campaign for funeral and family costs topped $25,000 by Monday afternoon.

Insights

What federal charges could Manuel Hernandez face if investigators prove the overloaded New York Harbor speedboat was operating as an illegal charter?
How did a 22-foot boat carrying 14 people capsize near the Statue of Liberty, killing a mother and her infant daughter?
Did rescuers and a Good Samaritan vessel prevent an even greater tragedy in the deadly New York Harbor speedboat overturning?