Halifax Police Arrest 54-Year-Old After U.S. Consulate Bomb Threat Forced Evacuations
Updated
Updated · The Globe and Mail · Aug 11
Halifax Police Arrest 54-Year-Old After U.S. Consulate Bomb Threat Forced Evacuations
3 articles · Updated · The Globe and Mail · Aug 11
Summary
A 54-year-old man was arrested Monday after police said a bomb threat against the U.S. consulate in Halifax triggered hours-long evacuations of two office towers and nearby waterfront streets.
Police said the consulate reported the threat around 6:15 p.m. Sunday, and officers later found the suspect’s car in the Purdy’s Wharf garage with a propane tank, other flammable containers and a suspicious bag nearby.
Hundreds of people were cleared from the area after 8 a.m., and Halifax’s explosive disposal unit declared no threat to public safety by 2 p.m., allowing streets to reopen.
No charges had been laid at the time of the report, and police said the case was not then being treated as a national-security incident while the RCMP and a major-crime unit continued investigating motive and timing.
The Halifax threat is the third recent incident involving a U.S. consulate in Canada, after shootings at the Toronto mission in March and July that led to multiple teen arrests.