Updated
Updated · Fox News · Aug 11
CBS Sports Delays Decision on Tony Romo's Future as Analyst Still Owed $72 Million
Updated
Updated · Fox News · Aug 11

CBS Sports Delays Decision on Tony Romo's Future as Analyst Still Owed $72 Million

3 articles · Updated · Fox News · Aug 11

Summary

  • David Berson said CBS Sports has set no timetable or final decision on Tony Romo after placing him on indefinite leave following last month’s OWI arrest.
  • Berson said the network is still assessing the case and put Romo aside because it had to protect its image and keep attention on its NFL coverage.
  • J.J. Watt has already been installed as Jim Nantz’s lead game analyst for the 2026 NFL season, replacing Romo in CBS’s top booth for now.
  • Romo was charged with operating while intoxicated, having an open bottle in his vehicle and unsafe passing after deputies said he showed signs of impairment in Wisconsin.
  • The unresolved case carries financial and legal stakes: Romo is midway through a 10-year, $180 million deal, reportedly has $72 million left, and faces a Sept. 21 court date.

Insights

Can J.J. Watt permanently dethrone Tony Romo as the face of CBS NFL coverage amidst this unresolved legal drama?
With $72 million on the line, will CBS utilize a morality clause to permanently end Tony Romo's broadcasting career?