Updated
Updated · Variety · Aug 11
Julie Andrews Declines Princess Diaries 3 Role at 90, Citing Retirement From On-Screen Acting
Updated
Updated · Variety · Aug 11

Julie Andrews Declines Princess Diaries 3 Role at 90, Citing Retirement From On-Screen Acting

3 articles · Updated · Variety · Aug 11

Summary

  • Julie Andrews said she turned down an offer to reprise Queen Clarisse in “The Princess Diaries 3,” telling InStyle she is “retired” from on-screen acting.
  • The 90-year-old said the creative team asked throughout last year, but she felt the sequel would “flourish very well” without “Granny going in there at my age.”
  • Andrews has largely stepped away from screen roles for years, though she still takes voice work including Netflix’s “Bridgerton,” which she said she records from home “to keep my brain alive.”
  • Disney has been developing the sequel since 2022, with Adele Lim attached to direct and Anne Hathaway returning as Mia Thermopolis, now Queen of Genovia; no release date has been announced.
  • The franchise remains commercially significant: the 2001 original grossed $165 million worldwide and the 2004 sequel added $134 million.

Insights

With Julie Andrews officially out, how will The Princess Diaries 3 write off the iconic Queen Clarisse without enraging loyal fans?
A castle is rented and a half-sister might appear, but can Anne Hathaway's royal sequel truly succeed without its beloved matriarch?