Seattle Mayor Seeks Independent Review of 5-Hour Bite Shooting Information Delay
Updated
Updated · FOX 13 Seattle · Aug 11
Seattle Mayor Seeks Independent Review of 5-Hour Bite Shooting Information Delay
3 articles · Updated · FOX 13 Seattle · Aug 11
Summary
Mayor Bruce Harrell? No—Mayor Wilson said she asked Seattle’s Inspector General to independently review how the city handled public information after the July 26 Bite of Seattle shooting that killed 3 people.
The review follows criticism over a nearly 5-hour gap before Seattle police held a news conference and over Wilson’s inaccurate early statement that 2 suspects were in custody when only 1 had been arrested.
District 7 Councilmember Bob Kettle on Tuesday posted a timeline showing police got preliminary gunfire reports at 6 p.m., SPD first posted on X at 6:29 p.m., and officials were still exchanging updates before a 10:50 p.m. briefing.
Inspector General Lisa Judge said the office has already begun evaluating communication between first responders, city departments and the public, with all departments directed to cooperate.
Initial findings are due this fall for the mayor’s office and the Public Safety Committee, and a public final report is expected by mid-December.