Updated
Updated · MMA Sucka · Aug 8
Rico Verhoeven Rejects UFC Move Over Pay Gap, Eyes 1 Rematch With Usyk
Updated
Updated · MMA Sucka · Aug 8

Rico Verhoeven Rejects UFC Move Over Pay Gap, Eyes 1 Rematch With Usyk

3 articles · Updated · MMA Sucka · Aug 8

Summary

  • Rico Verhoeven said he will not sign with the UFC because the promotion has not met his financial demands, adding the gap is now even wider than before.
  • On Joe Rogan’s JRE MMA Show, the former GLORY heavyweight said a UFC deal would have to “really make sense” financially, and he does not expect that under the company’s pay structure.
  • The 1-0 MMA fighter had previously been offered a bout with Derrick Lewis, but said those terms were not enough to justify a switch in focus.
  • Instead, Verhoeven wants a rematch with Oleksandr Usyk after their May boxing fight ended in a controversial 11th-round TKO, with many believing he had been competitive or ahead before the stoppage.

Insights

What hidden financial numbers made a kickboxing legend completely abandon his highly anticipated UFC debut?
Why did the referee really stop Verhoeven's fight against Usyk just seconds before the bell?
How did an unranked fighter secure a heavyweight title shot that boxing purists tried to stop?