Australian Bishop Christopher Saunders Convicted on 13 Sex Abuse Counts, Sentencing Set for Sept. 21
Updated
Updated · The Pillar · Aug 13
Australian Bishop Christopher Saunders Convicted on 13 Sex Abuse Counts, Sentencing Set for Sept. 21
3 articles · Updated · The Pillar · Aug 13
Summary
A Western Australia jury took seven hours to convict former Broome bishop Christopher Saunders on 12 indecent assault counts and one sexual penetration count involving young Aboriginal men.
Most charges centered on one victim whose abuse began at 16 and ended at 19; prosecutors said he felt shame and unable to refuse, while Saunders was cleared on six other charges.
The case was revived after police received findings from a Church investigation under Vos estis lux mundi, reopening an inquiry that had been closed in 2021 for lack of evidence and leading to Saunders’ 2024 arrest.
Bishop Timothy Norton said the diocese was deeply sorry for the harm and delay in hearing victims, and pledged visits across Broome for grieving, listening and healing.
Saunders, 76, had led the Broome diocese from 1996 to 2021 and remains one of Australia’s most senior Catholic figures convicted in the wider clergy abuse scandal.