Updated
Updated · Fox News · Aug 14
Terry Moran Says ABC Rewrote 15-Minute Lab-Leak Report After Fauci Review
Updated
Updated · Fox News · Aug 14

Terry Moran Says ABC Rewrote 15-Minute Lab-Leak Report After Fauci Review

2 articles · Updated · Fox News · Aug 14

Summary

  • Terry Moran said ABC News gutted a 15-minute 2021 “Nightline” report on the COVID lab-leak theory on the day it was set to air, leaving it “incomprehensible” after heavy caveats were added.
  • Moran told The Fifth Column podcast he was told the script had been reviewed by lawyers, standards staff and Anthony Fauci, though he said he could not personally verify Fauci’s involvement.
  • The June 2021 segment ultimately aired with lab-leak skeptics outweighing supporters, even though Moran said his original reporting included new details that the Wuhan lab had received Chinese military funding.
  • Neither Moran, Fauci nor ABC responded to requests for comment. Moran, who left ABC in 2025, still said Fauci was unfairly demonized and had tried to serve the public.
  • The allegation lands as Fauci faces renewed scrutiny from Senate Republicans and as the lab-leak theory has gained support from agencies including the CIA, FBI and Department of Energy, though scientists remain divided.

Insights

How did the heavy editing of early lab-leak investigations shape public trust in scientific and media institutions years later?
Did major networks compromise journalistic integrity by allowing external officials to alter early pandemic reporting?
If external officials influenced media narratives in 2021, how can audiences verify the independence of current reporting on global crises?