UK GPs Get Final Say on PSA Tests for Men Over 50 as Critics Warn of Late Cancers
Updated
Updated · Express · Aug 16
UK GPs Get Final Say on PSA Tests for Men Over 50 as Critics Warn of Late Cancers
3 articles · Updated · Express · Aug 16
Summary
New Department of Health guidance says GPs now make the final decision on PSA blood tests for men over 50, unless a patient has symptoms or is otherwise classed as high risk.
The department said policy has not changed and the old guidance was merely retired as ambiguous, insisting men can still ask for a test while doctors weigh individual risk and the test’s pros and cons.
Prostate Cancer Research called the move a backward step that could leave thousands more men with late, incurable diagnoses, and former prime minister David Cameron urged a targeted screening programme for higher-risk groups.
Earlier this year, the UK National Screening Committee said a nationwide programme would cause more harm than good, citing overdiagnosis and unnecessary treatment that can trigger urinary, sexual and bowel problems.