Blanche Backs Pirro After $14 Million Lincoln Pool Case Is Dropped
Updated
Updated · Fox News · Aug 17
Blanche Backs Pirro After $14 Million Lincoln Pool Case Is Dropped
3 articles · Updated · Fox News · Aug 17
Summary
Todd Blanche said he and President Donald Trump support D.C. U.S. Attorney Jeanine Pirro after prosecutors on July 31 dismissed the Lincoln Memorial Reflecting Pool vandalism case against canoeist David Hearn.
Federal prosecutors dropped the case after evidence suggested cracks, algae growth and peeling sealant at the newly renovated pool may have resulted from a botched renovation rather than vandalism.
Blanche said a witness claimed to have seen Hearn vandalizing the pool, but acknowledged that account alone could not prove the case; Hearn has denied wrongdoing.
The attorney general also said he would consider the White House's request to explore a new misdemeanor charge against Hearn, underscoring his stated willingness to weigh Trump's views in Justice Department decisions.
Blanche argued Pirro should not be judged on one case, pointing to her office's separate $1,000 property-destruction prosecution over graffiti and bubble soap at a veterans memorial last week.