Updated
Updated · Vatican News - English · Aug 18
Lake Kariba Ferry Death Toll Reaches 80 as Pope Leo Mourns Victims
Updated
Updated · Vatican News - English · Aug 18

Lake Kariba Ferry Death Toll Reaches 80 as Pope Leo Mourns Victims

3 articles · Updated · Vatican News - English · Aug 18

Summary

  • Eight more bodies recovered on Monday pushed the confirmed Lake Kariba ferry death toll to 80, including 18 children, after the vessel capsized on 11 August.
  • Zimbabwe police and press reports said the ferry appears to have been overloaded and was crossing in strong winds from Kariba Town to Chalala fishing camp when it overturned.
  • Pope Leo, in a telegram signed by Cardinal Pietro Parolin, said he was deeply saddened and offered condolences, prayers for the dead and support for rescuers and grieving families.
  • Investigators are still examining the disaster, while reports say the ferry had been in service for 41 years on a route vital to rural and fishing communities with poor road links.
  • President Emmerson Mnangagwa has declared a national state of emergency and pledged medical and psychological support, underscoring the scale of one of Zimbabwe's worst transport disasters.

Insights

Why was a dangerously overloaded and aging ferry allowed to set sail despite clear weather warnings?
What really happened in the final moments when the captain ignored desperate pleas to turn back?