Updated
Updated · aimnews.org · Aug 17
Ramaphosa Apologizes to Chapo for Violence That Drove Thousands of Mozambicans From South Africa
Updated
Updated · aimnews.org · Aug 17

Ramaphosa Apologizes to Chapo for Violence That Drove Thousands of Mozambicans From South Africa

3 articles · Updated · aimnews.org · Aug 17

Summary

  • Durban talks on the sidelines of the 46th SADC summit brought Ramaphosa’s apology to Mozambican President Daniel Chapo for anti-foreigner violence by South African citizens, Mozambican Foreign Minister Maria dos Santos Lucas said.
  • Thousands of Mozambicans were forced from their homes and livelihoods as discrimination triggered looting, harassment, property destruction and deadly riots in informal settlements.
  • Lucas said Pretoria had often framed the issue as illegal migration, but Ramaphosa acknowledged the violence and admitted the matter had been badly managed.
  • Monday’s summit is expected to keep xenophobic violence on the regional agenda after South Africa raised it at a SADC security meeting despite it not being formally scheduled.
  • The wider SADC gathering will also consider the 2026-2027 budget and a regional development fund that still needs ratification by 11 member states to take effect.

Insights

Will Ramaphosa’s apology lead to real protection for Mozambicans, or will South Africa’s cycle of xenophobic violence erupt again?
As thousands fled and deaths mounted, can SADC turn summit words into a regional plan to stop anti-foreigner attacks?
If migration rhetoric helped fuel the unrest, what must South Africa change to protect foreigners without deepening public anger?