Patriots Keep Christian Gonzalez Out at 24 as Contract Talks Continue
Updated
Updated · Yahoo Sports · Aug 16
Patriots Keep Christian Gonzalez Out at 24 as Contract Talks Continue
3 articles · Updated · Yahoo Sports · Aug 16
Summary
Mike Vrabel said Christian Gonzalez is still not ready to return, after the Patriots cornerback missed practice Tuesday, sat out Thursday's preseason opener against Indianapolis and remained unavailable Saturday.
The 24-year-old is recovering from an undisclosed injury suffered during a workout last week, and Vrabel said his absence is injury-related rather than tied to extension negotiations.
Those talks still carry major stakes because Gonzalez is entering the final year of his rookie deal and could become the NFL's highest-paid cornerback on a new contract.
Vrabel said Gonzalez could still be ready for the Sept. 13 opener against Seattle if healthy, with two joint practices against Philadelphia next week offering another key checkpoint.