CNN Debunks 5 Trump Claims on South Korea Payments, Says Costs Never Reached $3 Billion
Updated
Updated · CNN · Aug 17
CNN Debunks 5 Trump Claims on South Korea Payments, Says Costs Never Reached $3 Billion
3 articles · Updated · CNN · Aug 17
Summary
CNN said Trump's latest account of South Korea's support for US forces contains at least five false claims, including that Seoul once paid nothing and later agreed to $3 billion a year.
1991 cost-sharing agreements and a pre-Trump deal already had South Korea paying more than $800 million annually, while Trump's 2019 agreement raised that figure only 8.2% to still under $1 billion.
Talks on any broader post-2019 increase stalled before Biden took office, undercutting Trump's claim that he secured two further annual hikes after the supposed $3 billion deal.
Biden did not rescind a Trump order: the 2019 deal had already expired, and his administration later signed 2021 and 2024 agreements that increased South Korean payments by 13.9% and 8.3%.
The fact-check came a day after Trump said the US would scale back exercises with South Korea, citing Kim Jong Un and Seoul's refusal to join the US war with Iran.
As South Korea pursues wartime operational control, will shifting financial and training dynamics accelerate or hinder their military independence?
How might reducing joint military exercises reshape the balance of power and deterrence strategies on the Korean Peninsula?
With U.S. taxpayers covering billions for overseas basing, can future cost-sharing agreements truly balance the financial burden of international defense?