Updated
Updated · MLB.com · Aug 18
Ketel Marte Heads to Phoenix for Left Knee MRI After Restricted-List Absence
Updated
Updated · MLB.com · Aug 18

Ketel Marte Heads to Phoenix for Left Knee MRI After Restricted-List Absence

3 articles · Updated · MLB.com · Aug 18

Summary

  • Marte flew from Boston to Phoenix for an MRI on his left knee, the clearest update yet after the Diamondbacks put him on the restricted list when he missed Monday's game.
  • Lovullo said Tuesday he still had not spoken directly with Marte, while teammate Geraldo Perdomo said Marte texted that his knee felt "a little uncomfortable" and he was going for imaging.
  • The 32-year-old had been dealing with knee soreness since the All-Star break, exited Friday's game, sat Saturday, then returned Sunday before failing to report Monday at Fenway Park.
  • Arizona replaced Marte with Jose Fernandez and is trying to refocus after an 11-1 loss in Boston, with Lovullo saying the club had to realign during the NL wild-card chase.
  • Marte's status looms over a 66-60 Diamondbacks team because he has a .760 OPS and 21 home runs this season.

Insights

What secret personal crisis forced Ketel Marte to abandon his team at Fenway Park during a critical Wild Card race?
With full trade veto power, is Ketel Marte quietly forcing the Diamondbacks' hand amid mounting frustrations behind the scenes?