Trump Declares Strait of Hormuz U.S. Territory as Iran Keeps Route Closed After 60-Day Talks Fail
Updated
Updated · Forbes · Aug 18
Trump Declares Strait of Hormuz U.S. Territory as Iran Keeps Route Closed After 60-Day Talks Fail
3 articles · Updated · Forbes · Aug 18
Summary
Trump posted a Truth Social map labeling the Strait of Hormuz a “new U.S. territory” hours after Iran said the waterway would stay closed when a 60-day negotiating window expired without a deal.
Iran tied any reopening to major U.S. concessions, including lifting the blockade of Iranian ports, releasing frozen assets, removing oil sanctions and ending military operations “on all fronts.”
Trump then said no talks with Iran were underway or scheduled, while also claiming the Strait was “open and operating” and that all water mines had been removed or detonated.
Brent crude rose above $91 a barrel—its highest since July—as the standoff deepened, while Iran’s deputy foreign minister called Trump’s territorial claim a “delusion” that would be “corrected.”