Updated
Updated · Yahoo! Voices · Aug 18
13-Year-Old Missaukee Shooting Victim Stabilizes as Ex-Wife Blames Judge, Prosecutors for 5 Killings
Updated
Updated · Yahoo! Voices · Aug 18

13-Year-Old Missaukee Shooting Victim Stabilizes as Ex-Wife Blames Judge, Prosecutors for 5 Killings

3 articles · Updated · Yahoo! Voices · Aug 18

Summary

  • Michigan State Police said the 13-year-old girl wounded in last week’s Missaukee County rampage was upgraded from critical to stable condition Tuesday.
  • Katie Frye, ex-wife of suspected gunman Chad Hickman, said on Facebook that prosecutors and Family Court Judge Melissa Ransom ignored her warnings that he was violent and "let this happen."
  • Hickman, 39, was accused of killing five people before dying by suicide; Frye said her children survived only because 13-year-old Bella Padilla-Everitt called 911 after being shot four times.
  • Court records show Hickman took a 2024 plea deal to fourth-degree child abuse and contributing to delinquency, with more serious assault and sexual-conduct charges dismissed; he received 365 days in jail.
  • Ransom’s 2025 divorce opinion described the marriage as involving domestic-violence allegations and dysfunction, while the prosecutor’s office did not immediately comment and the judge declined comment.

Insights

How did a man with a documented history of severe domestic abuse retain access to firearms used in this tragic Missaukee County massacre?
What specific credibility issues forced prosecutors to offer a lenient plea deal to a known abuser shortly before his deadly rampage?
Why were multiple crime scenes targeted, and what was the hidden connection between the shooter and the five victims who lost their lives?