ZZ Top Drummer Frank Beard Dies at 77, Prompting 2 Tour Cancellations
Updated
Updated · USA TODAY · Aug 18
ZZ Top Drummer Frank Beard Dies at 77, Prompting 2 Tour Cancellations
3 articles · Updated · USA TODAY · Aug 18
Summary
Aug. 17 marked Beard’s death in hospice care at his ranch in Richmond, Texas, with family at his side, the band’s representative said.
Early August health issues had already forced the 77-year-old off ZZ Top’s The Big One Tour, with Michael Monahan filling in after Beard also paused touring in 2025 over a foot-and-ankle problem.
Aug. 18-19 shows were canceled, but ZZ Top said it plans to resume Aug. 22-23 at ACL Live in Austin, a venue the band called one of Beard’s favorites.
Since 1971, Beard anchored ZZ Top’s classic lineup with Billy Gibbons and Dusty Hill, helping drive hits from “La Grange” and “Tush” to MTV-era staples on “Eliminator” and “Afterburner.”
His death leaves Gibbons as the only surviving member from ZZ Top’s peak decades after Hill died in 2021; the band entered the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame in 2004.