Kim Yo-jong Rejects 11-Day US-South Korea Drill Cut as Trump Pushes Summit
Updated
Updated · The New York Times · Aug 19
Kim Yo-jong Rejects 11-Day US-South Korea Drill Cut as Trump Pushes Summit
3 articles · Updated · The New York Times · Aug 19
Summary
Kim Yo-jong said the scaled-back Ulchi Freedom Shield exercise still held “no interest” for Pyongyang and remained “provocative and aggressive” despite Washington’s concession.
The Pentagon had said the annual drill would end one week early after Trump ordered the 11-day exercise reduced on Sunday in an effort to revive diplomacy with Kim Jong-un.
Kim also said she was unaware of any contact between Pyongyang and Washington, directly undercutting Trump’s claim a day earlier that Kim had responded to his outreach.
Trump nevertheless said Wednesday he expected to meet Kim later this year, even as the rebuff cast fresh doubt on renewed talks and revived concerns about alliance readiness.