Updated
Updated · The Daily Beast · Aug 19
Trump Admits $400 Million White House Ballroom Hides Bomb Shelters as Supreme Court Weighs Project
Updated
Updated · The Daily Beast · Aug 19

Trump Admits $400 Million White House Ballroom Hides Bomb Shelters as Supreme Court Weighs Project

3 articles · Updated · The Daily Beast · Aug 19

Summary

  • Trump said the White House ballroom project includes drones, bomb shelters and other military components beneath the event space, publicly confirming details he said he had wanted to keep secret.
  • About $400 million and counting, the plan has expanded from a $200 million renovation into a broader security buildout that Trump said the military requested as a rare chance to add protected facilities.
  • A federal judge earlier this month blocked above-ground construction, ruling Trump could not demolish parts of the White House or reshape federal property without congressional approval and funding.
  • Friday’s Supreme Court ruling will decide whether work can continue after Trump’s lawyers argued the ballroom is a national-security necessity, while the National Trust says the project remains illegal without Congress.

Insights

Can a president unilaterally alter the historic White House using private funds and national security claims despite a century-old law?