Updated
Updated · Los Angeles Times · Aug 19
Disneyland Posts 12 New Tiana Signs Threatening Park Removal After 50-Foot Fall
Updated
Updated · Los Angeles Times · Aug 19

Disneyland Posts 12 New Tiana Signs Threatening Park Removal After 50-Foot Fall

3 articles · Updated · Los Angeles Times · Aug 19

Summary

  • Disneyland is installing 12 new signs at Tiana’s Bayou Adventure this week warning that guests who stand up on the log-flume ride will be removed from the park.
  • The tougher wording replaces earlier signs saying riders “may” be removed, as officials and frequent riders describe standing up as a recurring safety problem rather than an isolated incident.
  • Matthew Desmond, who says he rode the attraction 243 straight days last year, said he saw families expelled at least once a week after someone stood up and refused cast members’ instructions to sit down.
  • The change comes less than two months after a 13-year-old boy climbed out of a log and fell 50 feet down the ride’s drop; he was hospitalized and later released.
  • Tiana’s Bayou Adventure—Disneyland’s 2024 reworking of Splash Mountain—uses logs without seat belts or lap bars, making rider compliance central to safety.

Insights

Will a terrifying 50-foot fall finally force Disneyland to install seatbelts on its newest water ride?
Are strict new warning signs enough to stop the dangerous trend of riders escaping moving attractions?
What is truly driving Disneyland's sudden and aggressive zero-tolerance policy for its guests?