Updated
Updated · The Guardian · Aug 20
NSW Police Blame Radio Confusion for False Alive Report on 18-Year-Old Lily Hooper
Updated
Updated · The Guardian · Aug 20

NSW Police Blame Radio Confusion for False Alive Report on 18-Year-Old Lily Hooper

3 articles · Updated · The Guardian · Aug 20

Summary

  • Dense bushland and broken radio traffic led police to wrongly tell Lily Hooper’s parents, Premier Chris Minns and media that the missing 18-year-old had been found alive; her body was confirmed about 10 minutes later.
  • SES volunteers searching Nattai National Park reported a “hiker” found at 11:30 a.m., and Assistant Commissioner Joseph Cassar said they were likely very close to Hooper’s body when the first, mistaken message was relayed.
  • Chris Minns publicly announced “fantastic news” in parliament after being told the report was accurate, then retracted it minutes later and apologized; Police Commissioner Mal Lanyon also apologized for the added trauma to Hooper’s family.
  • Nearly 1,000 people had joined the eight-day search after Hooper disappeared on 12 August, and police said they will review communications with the SES and other agencies to prevent a repeat.

Insights

Could advanced foliage-penetrating technology have overcome the harsh weather and dense canopy to locate Lily Hooper sooner?
How did a catastrophic communication breakdown lead the NSW Premier to falsely announce a deceased teenager was found alive?
What fatal hazards hidden within the rugged Bonnum Pic area ultimately claimed the life of the missing 18-year-old hiker?