Syria Denies Turkish Base Plan at Abu al-Duhur After 8 Israeli Strikes
Updated
Updated · Al Jazeera English · Aug 20
Syria Denies Turkish Base Plan at Abu al-Duhur After 8 Israeli Strikes
3 articles · Updated · Al Jazeera English · Aug 20
Summary
Asaad al-Shaibani said Syria never intended to host a Turkish base or permanent Turkish troops at Abu al-Duhur, saying he had conveyed that directly to Israel.
Eight Israeli strikes hit the airbase’s runway and storage facilities near Aleppo on Tuesday, with no casualties reported, after Netanyahu said Israel had warned دمشق not to allow a Turkish presence there.
Shaibani called the attack unjustified but said Syria remains open to de-escalation talks with Israel if any deal addresses both sides’ security concerns.
Turkey also denied any military buildup, saying no delegation was at the base before or during the strikes, while vowing to keep helping Syria build its own military capacity.
The dispute underscores worsening Israel-Turkiye friction in Syria despite a deconfliction line the two countries set up last year.