3 articles · Updated · The New York Times · Aug 20
Summary
Homeland Security officials told Nevada election administrators last week they had identified only 185 potential noncitizens registered to vote, not the 15,903 the Trump administration had publicly cited.
The department said another 14,000 names were still under review and described the original nearly 16,000 figure as a "ceiling" rather than a verified count.
Nevada officials said the federal list is incomplete and lacks names, making it nearly impossible to verify; the state has asked for more information that DHS has not yet provided.
The gap undercuts a central Trump administration claim used to justify the SAVE America Act, which would require proof of citizenship for federal voter registration.