Trump Administration Expands Cuba Sanctions to 8 State Firms and Construction Ministry
Updated
Updated · The New York Times · Aug 20
Trump Administration Expands Cuba Sanctions to 8 State Firms and Construction Ministry
3 articles · Updated · The New York Times · Aug 20
Summary
Thursday’s measures added Cuba’s construction ministry, eight state-owned companies and a nonprofit the U.S. says is tied to Cuban intelligence to the sanctions list.
Marco Rubio said the designations aim to choke off funding for repression and counter what Washington calls Cuba’s anti-American activities, extending a broader pressure campaign against the Communist government.
The eight companies operate in mining, metallurgy, motor vehicles, trade and labor contracting, while the nonprofit was linked to a ship convoy that sought to ease the U.S. blockade earlier this year.
The move comes after a February oil blockade that has deepened Cuba’s energy crisis with nationwide blackouts, even as U.N. human rights experts say U.S. pressure is worsening food and medicine shortages.
As U.S. sanctions tighten on Cuba's state-owned giants, will foreign investors be forced to abandon their assets to avoid global financial ruin?
With widespread blackouts and severe shortages escalating, could the latest financial blockade trigger a total collapse of Cuba's fragile infrastructure?