Croatia Detains Ukrainian Suspect in 2022 Nord Stream Blasts Pending Extradition to Germany
Updated
Updated · The Associated Press · Aug 20
Croatia Detains Ukrainian Suspect in 2022 Nord Stream Blasts Pending Extradition to Germany
3 articles · Updated · The Associated Press · Aug 20
Summary
A Croatian judge ordered a Ukrainian man held after his arrest in Pula on a European warrant from Germany over the 2022 Nord Stream pipeline explosions.
German prosecutors say the suspect — identified as Vladimir Z. and confirmed by Polish authorities as Volodymyr Zhuravlov — was a trained scuba diver in a group that planted explosives near Bornholm.
The man was questioned Thursday, prosecutors sought detention during extradition proceedings, and his lawyer said he would appeal; Croatia has not said how long the process could take.
The arrest revives a case in which Poland released the same suspect last year after refusing Germany's extradition request, while Germany last month charged and had extradited a former Ukrainian army officer in the same sabotage probe.
The Sept. 26, 2022 blasts damaged Nord Stream 1 and 2, deepening Europe’s energy rupture with Russia as German investigators shifted suspicion from possible Russian involvement toward alleged Ukrainian participation.