Pentagon Rejects $1.2 Trillion Golden Dome Estimate as Congress Weighs $17 Billion More
Updated
Updated · Federal News Network · Aug 20
Pentagon Rejects $1.2 Trillion Golden Dome Estimate as Congress Weighs $17 Billion More
1 articles · Updated · Federal News Network · Aug 20
Summary
$1.2 trillion over 20 years is the Congressional Budget Office’s estimate for Trump’s Golden Dome vision, a figure Space Force Gen. Michael Guetlein called a false “myth” that misstates what the Pentagon is building.
$185 billion over 10 years is the Pentagon’s own projection, while CBO official David Mosher said his team modeled Trump’s 2025 executive order using public data because the program office would not discuss its plans.
$22.5 billion approved in March has already been 90% obligated in under six months, Guetlein said, with contracts let for radars, interceptors, space-based interceptors and sites.
Summer 2028 is Guetlein’s target for homeland defense delivery after a test last month shot down every target launched, which he said proved the early architecture can work.
$400 million in the fiscal 2027 base budget and another $17 billion through a new Republican reconciliation bill are now the next funding targets as lawmakers debate how expansive Golden Dome should be.
With a trillion-dollar discrepancy in cost estimates, what classified details is the Pentagon hiding about the Golden Dome's true financial burden?
How will the military sustain this ambitious orbital defense network if the crucial billions in upcoming legislative funding fall through?
If space-based interceptors can be overwhelmed by large attacks, does this massive defense program actually guarantee absolute national security?
Golden Dome at a Crossroads: The $1 Trillion Cost Dispute, Pentagon Secrecy, and the Future of U.S. Missile Defense
Overview
The Golden Dome missile defense program faces a major crisis after Congress blocked $17 billion in funding, prompting warnings from Space Force leaders that the project could be scrapped without alternative money. This funding deadlock exposed a $1 trillion gap between the Pentagon’s and CBO’s cost estimates, fueled by secrecy and a lack of transparency from the military. The program’s reliance on fast-track reconciliation bills bypassed normal oversight, raising concerns about waste and abuse. Meanwhile, the ambitious plan for space-based interceptors is seen as operationally impractical and has triggered global anxieties, with adversaries developing countermeasures and allies questioning U.S. commitments.