Roberts Lets $400 Million White House Ballroom Construction Continue as Supreme Court Reviews Injunction
Updated
Updated · Fox News · Aug 21
Roberts Lets $400 Million White House Ballroom Construction Continue as Supreme Court Reviews Injunction
3 articles · Updated · Fox News · Aug 21
Summary
Friday’s administrative stay let above-ground work on Trump’s White House ballroom continue, freezing a lower-court injunction that had been set to take effect the same day.
The Trump administration told the Supreme Court that stopping the project would endanger national security, describing the ballroom complex as a secure facility needed to protect the president, staff and visiting leaders.
A divided appeals court had ruled Congress did not authorize the project, though underground security-related construction could continue even if above-ground work stopped.
The National Trust for Historic Preservation says the administration is racing ahead of judicial review with a 250-person crew working 20 hours a day, while arguing Congress controls federal property spending.
Roberts’ order does not settle the legality of the 90,000-square-foot project; it keeps the case in holding while the full Supreme Court decides whether construction may proceed during the broader lawsuit.