UN Rights Chief Challenges Zambia's 11 Opposition Arrests as Hichilema Secures 2nd Term
Updated
Updated · The Associated Press · Aug 19
UN Rights Chief Challenges Zambia's 11 Opposition Arrests as Hichilema Secures 2nd Term
3 articles · Updated · The Associated Press · Aug 19
Summary
Volker Turk on Wednesday urged Zambia to stop arbitrary arrests and promptly bring 11 detained opposition officials before a court after last week's disputed election.
Election-night raids targeted a property where opposition leader Brian Mundubile was present; the government said gunfire was exchanged and “high-grade military weapons” were found, framing the arrests as a state security case.
Mundubile, who officially won about 38% of the vote, denied the allegations, said the officials were unarmed and shot at, and rejected President Hakainde Hichilema's reelection victory as irregular.
Authorities have not disclosed where the detainees are being held or what charges they face, while Mundubile also said a former minister was shot in the raid and remains missing.
The dispute deepens tensions after an unusually fraught vote in the copper-rich country, where counting was suspended for hours Friday amid violence at some polling stations and stolen ballot papers.