Updated
Updated · The New York Times · Aug 22
Lovullo Defends Ketel Marte Casino Sighting as Diamondbacks Stay 1 Game Out
Updated
Updated · The New York Times · Aug 22

Lovullo Defends Ketel Marte Casino Sighting as Diamondbacks Stay 1 Game Out

3 articles · Updated · The New York Times · Aug 22

Summary

  • Video showed injured Ketel Marte at a local casino Friday night while Arizona beat Cincinnati 9-0, and manager Torey Lovullo said the second baseman was "free to do whatever" as long as he reports for rehab work.
  • The stance reflects club rules for injured-list players, who generally are not required to attend night games because their rehab work is usually completed earlier in the day.
  • The sighting came days after Marte was scratched minutes before Monday's game, briefly placed on the restricted list and then shifted Thursday to the injured list after a meeting with team officials.
  • Lovullo said he had felt "betrayed" and pitcher Kevin Ginkel called the episode disappointing, underscoring tension around a player Arizona still needs for its playoff push.
  • Marte is hitting .249/.314/.446 with 21 homers and 67 RBIs, and the Diamondbacks improved to 68-61 on Friday to remain 1 game out of the final NL wild-card spot.

Insights

What undisclosed personal secret forced Ketel Marte into an unexcused absence before his controversial casino appearance?
Can a fractured clubhouse heal in time for the playoffs after a star player's mysterious disappearance?