Updated
Updated · WGME · Aug 22
Bangor Wastewater Sample Tests Positive for Measles After 5 Cases Hit Penobscot County
Updated
Updated · WGME · Aug 22

Bangor Wastewater Sample Tests Positive for Measles After 5 Cases Hit Penobscot County

2 articles · Updated · WGME · Aug 22

Summary

  • A Bangor wastewater sample was confirmed positive for measles last week, signaling recent virus presence in the area.
  • A second sample collected a few days later tested negative, and officials said they still cannot identify the person involved or whether they lived locally or were passing through.
  • Sara Robinson of the Maine CDC urged health care providers to screen for measles and told residents to check that vaccinations are up to date, calling immunization the best protection.
  • Five measles cases were confirmed in Penobscot County in February, and no additional cases had been announced before this wastewater detection.

Insights

How are Maine health officials balancing public alerts with privacy when wastewater surveillance detects viruses like measles in local communities?
With follow-up tests showing negative results, is Bangor's wastewater detection a false alarm or a fleeting traveler carrying the virus?