Pezeshkian Acknowledges Iran's Problems After New US Sanctions, as Tehran Says Hormuz Stays Shut
Updated
Updated · Gulf News · Aug 23
Pezeshkian Acknowledges Iran's Problems After New US Sanctions, as Tehran Says Hormuz Stays Shut
3 articles · Updated · Gulf News · Aug 23
Summary
Masoud Pezeshkian said Iranians face “many problems” and described the country as being in a “full-scale economic, military and security war” after Washington launched a new sanctions drive.
The US campaign, announced last week, aims to further isolate Iran’s economy and bring about the regime’s “collapse,” prompting Tehran to frame the pressure as a familiar tactic it can withstand.
Mohsen Rezaei said the Strait of Hormuz remains closed until the United States changes its behavior, while Donald Trump again shared an image depicting the waterway as “NEW US Territory.”
Iran also signaled tighter internal control: police said they seized 997 Starlink devices and arrested 163 people in four months through July, and the judiciary said it executed Majid Adineh on Sunday over protest-related charges.
Diplomatic off-ramps remain uncertain as Pakistan’s army chief Asim Munir heads to Tehran on Monday to support regional peace efforts, even though talks appear stalled.