Conakry Landfill Landslide Kills 22 as Heavy Rain Buries Shacks Near Closure Site
Updated
Updated · Yahoo! Voices · Aug 23
Conakry Landfill Landslide Kills 22 as Heavy Rain Buries Shacks Near Closure Site
3 articles · Updated · Yahoo! Voices · Aug 23
Summary
At least 22 people were killed early Sunday when a landslide tore through the Dar Es Salam landfill in Conakry and buried nearby shacks, with rescuers still searching for survivors.
Heavy rain that began around 3 a.m. washed over the refuse and triggered the collapse, according to Guinea's civil protection service.
Authorities said the capital's largest landfill had been scheduled to close Sunday, and residents around the site had received eviction notices, though many were still present when the slide hit.
Minister Dienabou Touré said the remaining families would be relocated, underscoring the wider risk around a dump that has already seen deadly landslides.