Updated
Updated · Mashable · Aug 23
Obbe Vermeij Downplays GTA VI Leaks, Says 90% of Players Won't See Spoilers
Updated
Updated · Mashable · Aug 23

Obbe Vermeij Downplays GTA VI Leaks, Says 90% of Players Won't See Spoilers

3 articles · Updated · Mashable · Aug 23

Summary

  • Obbe Vermeij, a former Rockstar North technical director, called the latest Grand Theft Auto VI leaks a “nothing burger” and urged fans to “calm down” ahead of Netflix’s extended look this week.
  • CyberLeek last week posted alleged GTA VI maps and gameplay clips, and Take-Two later subpoenaed Microsoft, Discord and GitHub over “stolen content,” indicating at least some leaked material was authentic.
  • Vermeij said Rockstar has long kept major games under wraps longer than rivals do, arguing the leak amounts to footage escaping rather than a crisis because most future players are not hunting online for spoilers.
  • Citing the 2004 “Hot Coffee” controversy, Vermeij said that episode was a “nightmare” for Rockstar’s New York office, while the current GTA VI leak is far less consequential and only a minor blip for a game he expects to sell for 15 years.

Insights

Why is a former director calling the leak harmless while Take-Two aggressively hunts the culprits across multiple tech giants?
How did hackers bypass Rockstar's legendary security to access GTA 6, and what does this mean for the game's release?