Updated
Updated · The New York Times · Aug 11
42 Democrats Accuse Trump Administration of Blocking $5 Billion in Transit Grants
Updated
Updated · The New York Times · Aug 11

42 Democrats Accuse Trump Administration of Blocking $5 Billion in Transit Grants

1 articles · Updated · The New York Times · Aug 11

Summary

  • Forty-two House and Senate Democrats said Tuesday the Federal Transit Administration and White House budget office have stalled major transit construction grants, leaving no new Capital Investment Grants awarded since Trump took office.
  • More than $5 billion appropriated by Congress has been pushed out of reach for new grants this fiscal year, and projects have been delayed for months before a critical final program stage.
  • The lawmakers said the administration also tried to halt previously approved funding for the Gateway Tunnel, Second Avenue Subway and Chicago's Red Line extension, moves federal judges later blocked.
  • The multibillion-dollar grant program helps cities finance subway, rail and bus expansions they often cannot fund alone, making the freeze a broader threat to transit build-outs nationwide.