Updated
Updated · The Associated Press · Aug 14
Homan Defends ICE's $20 Million Shock-Glove Plan as Less-Lethal Option
Updated
Updated · The Associated Press · Aug 14

Homan Defends ICE's $20 Million Shock-Glove Plan as Less-Lethal Option

3 articles · Updated · The Associated Press · Aug 14

Summary

  • $20 million would fund thousands of electric shock gloves for ICE officers, a plan Tom Homan said could gain compliance without resorting to deadly force.
  • Homan called the devices another less-lethal option alongside Tasers and pepper spray, but said field deployment is still some time away as ICE works through training and policy rules.
  • Critics — including civil rights groups, Democrats and use-of-force experts — say ICE has already been too quick to use force during Trump's immigration crackdown, with at least six people shot and killed since last year.
  • A Kentucky jailer who has used the gloves for four years said they cause intense pain only during contact and have been used sparingly, while a criminology professor urged broader study and a smaller initial purchase.

Insights

How will ICE prevent the hidden abuse of $20 million electric shock gloves that look exactly like ordinary winter wear?
Could introducing concealed shock gloves to officers actually increase physical altercations rather than prevent deadly encounters?