Updated
Updated · CNN · Aug 15
Larry Montes Arraigned on 3 Hate Crime Counts After Manhattan Synagogue Attack
Updated
Updated · CNN · Aug 15

Larry Montes Arraigned on 3 Hate Crime Counts After Manhattan Synagogue Attack

3 articles · Updated · CNN · Aug 15

Summary

  • $10,000 cash bail was set for Larry Montes, 46, at a Saturday night arraignment after prosecutors charged him with two assault hate crimes and one criminal mischief hate crime.
  • Friday night's disruption at Central Synagogue began after Montes sat through about 10 minutes of Shabbat services, then moved toward a restricted area, chopped at two candles valued at about $10,000 each and tried to approach the rabbi.
  • A 63-year-old woman suffered a cut lip and forearm injuries, and a security team member was spat on and headbutted while escorting him out; prosecutors said Montes could face 5 to 15 years if convicted.
  • Investigators said they have no evidence Montes specifically targeted anyone inside the synagogue, though officials said he yelled a racial slur and has a history of mental health issues.
  • The case lands amid a broader rise in antisemitic assaults in the United States, which the ADL said hit a record high last year.

Insights

What led police to file hate-crime charges after a man disrupted Shabbat services and assaulted two people at Central Synagogue?
After the Central Synagogue assault, are New York’s houses of worship truly prepared for sudden threats during services?