Updated
Updated · Bloody Elbow · Aug 14
Makhachev Coach Says He Never Knew Morales Was UFC 330 Backup for Aug. 15
Updated
Updated · Bloody Elbow · Aug 14

Makhachev Coach Says He Never Knew Morales Was UFC 330 Backup for Aug. 15

3 articles · Updated · Bloody Elbow · Aug 14

Summary

  • Javier Mendez said he was unaware Michael Morales had been asked to serve as the UFC 330 backup fighter, joking that he never plans for a standby opponent.
  • Morales has said the UFC told him to be ready for Aug. 15, and he is still cutting weight in case welterweight champion Islam Makhachev or challenger Ian Machado Garry withdraws.
  • Mendez called the arrangement “fantastic” once told, but said he hopes it is not needed because he does not want Garry to lose a title shot after his work to reach the fight.
  • The backup role could still affect the next title picture, with Carlos Prates focused on facing the winner while Morales remains an unbeaten contender waiting in the wings.

Insights

Why was the champion's camp completely blind to a dangerous, undefeated backup fighter lurking in the shadows of UFC 330?
With UFC 330 now passed, did the undefeated backup actually derail the main event, or did Garry secure his title shot?
What happens to an undefeated prospect who endures a brutal weight cut for a championship opportunity that might never materialize?