Updated
Updated · WABC-TV · Aug 17
Juan Mercedes Charged in Stabbing of 19-Year-Old Australian Tourist at Midtown McDonald's
Updated
Updated · WABC-TV · Aug 17

Juan Mercedes Charged in Stabbing of 19-Year-Old Australian Tourist at Midtown McDonald's

3 articles · Updated · WABC-TV · Aug 17

Summary

  • Police charged 25-year-old Juan Mercedes of Florida with assault after a 19-year-old Australian tourist was stabbed in the back around 2 a.m. Monday inside a McDonald's on Eighth Avenue and 35th Street.
  • Detectives believe the attack was unprovoked, though investigators said the victim had been eating when he got into a dispute with Mercedes inside the restaurant.
  • Bellevue Hospital treated the tourist, who was listed in stable condition and told Eyewitness News by phone that he is recovering.
  • Regular customers said they avoid the Midtown location late at night, describing frequent fights and arguments there even during daytime hours.

Insights

What truly sparked the brutal, allegedly unprovoked stabbing of a teen tourist at a notorious Midtown McDonald's?
With a history of late-night violence, why was this Manhattan fast-food hotspot left vulnerable to such a gruesome attack?