Updated
Updated · Burlington Free Press · Aug 17
Hassan Haji Charged in 24-Year-Old Deng Dau's Fatal Burlington Stabbing
Updated
Updated · Burlington Free Press · Aug 17

Hassan Haji Charged in 24-Year-Old Deng Dau's Fatal Burlington Stabbing

3 articles · Updated · Burlington Free Press · Aug 17

Summary

  • 24-year-old Hassan Haji of Winooski turned himself in, pleaded not guilty to second-degree murder and was ordered held without bail until an Aug. 27 hearing.
  • Police say Haji stabbed 24-year-old Deng Dau once during a three-person fight just after 4 a.m. Aug. 15 behind Courthouse Plaza on Main Street; Dau later died at the University of Vermont Medical Center.
  • Five armed incidents unfolded downtown from Friday to Sunday—three involving knives and two involving gunfire—including a nonfatal stabbing about two hours earlier and a shots-fired argument near Church and King streets.
  • Interim Chief Shawn Burke said investigators so far see no connection among the incidents, though police are still pursuing leads in the nonfatal stabbing, the gunfire case and a bike-path knife assault involving three juveniles.
  • Mayor Emma Mulvaney-Stanak said the weekend violence was alarming but cited city data showing overall violent crime still trending downward, while urging tougher gun laws and more youth-violence prevention.

Insights

What truly sparked the fatal 4 a.m. confrontation, and could it be secretly linked to the other violent attacks that same night?
With multiple violent incidents striking downtown in one weekend, is the city's claim of decreasing crime masking a deeper public safety crisis?