Updated
Updated · BBC.com · Aug 20
Travelodge CEO Quits After 2023 Email Exposed Safety Failures
Updated
Updated · BBC.com · Aug 20

Travelodge CEO Quits After 2023 Email Exposed Safety Failures

3 articles · Updated · BBC.com · Aug 20

Summary

  • Jo Boydell's exit became "inevitable" after it emerged a woman assaulted at Travelodge's Maidenhead hotel emailed her office in January 2023 and no action followed, local MP Joshua Reynolds said.
  • Boydell had said she learned of the December 2022 attack only years later, but acknowledged the email had been handled on her behalf and that there had been "serious failures."
  • Travelodge said it is reviewing security measures, with barrister Paul Greaney KC leading an independent inquiry, while CFO Ray Reidy has taken over as interim chief executive.
  • The pressure on the chain has widened beyond Maidenhead, with guests also reporting room-key failures in Newham and Reynolds saying the review should drive change across the hotel industry.

Insights

How did a major hotel CEO remain completely unaware of a horrific assault on their property for nearly three years?
With multiple guests receiving keys to occupied rooms, is the hospitality industry facing a systemic crisis in basic security?
Could the simple act of asking a receptionist for a spare key be the biggest hidden danger to your personal safety?