Updated
Updated · BBC.com · Aug 22
Sex Toys Halt 2 WNBA Games as Protesters Target Transgender Policy
Updated
Updated · BBC.com · Aug 22

Sex Toys Halt 2 WNBA Games as Protesters Target Transgender Policy

3 articles · Updated · BBC.com · Aug 22

Summary

  • Two WNBA games were stopped in third quarters after spectators threw sex toys onto the court—Chicago beat Golden State 73-70 on Friday, a day after Atlanta routed Los Angeles 124-88.
  • USA Today said the same meme-coin group tied to last season's disruptions claimed it would keep targeting games to protest the league's transgender-athlete policy.
  • A male spectator who disrupted the Sparks game was caught by arena security and faces a lifetime WNBA ban, while it was unclear whether those responsible in Chicago had been identified.
  • Six WNBA games in Atlanta, New York and Los Angeles were similarly interrupted between July and August last season, prompting the league to warn that offenders could be banned and prosecuted.
  • The protests come despite no transgender athletes currently playing in the WNBA; the league's collective bargaining agreement says only players who are women are eligible.

Insights

Will the league be forced to rewrite its eligibility rules to stop these targeted on-court disruptions?
What hidden agendas are driving outside actors to orchestrate these bizarre stunts at professional basketball games?
How are disruptive groups bypassing arena security to hijack live broadcasts with bizarre protests?