Karmelo Anthony Defense Rests in 35-Year Murder Appeal as Judge Is Removed Over Bias
Updated
Updated · Fox News · Aug 21
Karmelo Anthony Defense Rests in 35-Year Murder Appeal as Judge Is Removed Over Bias
3 articles · Updated · Fox News · Aug 21
Summary
Retired Judge Michael Chitty heard Karmelo Anthony’s defense rest Friday after former lawyers said a dispute over an unwritten evidence deal led the 19-year-old not to testify in his self-defense case.
Two former defense attorneys said they believed the arrangement let Anthony testify about the track-meet confrontation, but prosecutors argued it did not automatically shield him from damaging character evidence if he took the stand.
Judge Sid Harle removed trial judge John Roach earlier this week, finding an outside observer could question his impartiality after he publicly said the jury “got it right” and defended his trial rulings.
Anthony is seeking a new trial after his June conviction and 35-year sentence for fatally stabbing 17-year-old Austin Metcalf at a Frisco track meet; his motion also cites public-trial and jury-instruction violations.
Monday is the deadline for Chitty to rule under Texas law; if he does not grant the motion, it will be denied automatically and Anthony’s direct appeal will proceed.