Updated
Updated · KSTP · Aug 22
Minneapolis Police Launch Crime Spree Protocol After 87 Vehicles Are Damaged Overnight
Updated
Updated · KSTP · Aug 22

Minneapolis Police Launch Crime Spree Protocol After 87 Vehicles Are Damaged Overnight

3 articles · Updated · KSTP · Aug 22

Summary

  • At least 87 vehicles were damaged between 2 a.m. and 7 a.m. Friday across Minneapolis, prompting police to activate an all-hands Crime Spree Response Protocol; no arrests had been made by Friday afternoon.
  • Investigators said the smashed-window incidents hit several neighborhoods — including areas near Boom Island Park, Whittier, Marshall Terrace and Logan Park — and they are still determining whether the cases are connected.
  • Witnesses described groups using flashlights before smashing windows, while some residents said nothing was stolen, suggesting parts of the spree may have involved vandalism as well as break-ins.
  • The latest damage came just a week after another spree hit more than 30 cars, reviving a pattern that led police to use the same protocol last year when more than 500 vehicles were damaged over several weeks.
  • Ward 3 Councilmember Michael Rainville tied the attacks to broader public-safety strains, arguing staffing and pursuit-policy debates will intensify as Minneapolis confronts a $60 million budget deficit.

Insights

With over 80 cars smashed in Minneapolis and nothing stolen, what is the hidden motive behind this highly coordinated vandalism spree?
Could the city's current no-chase policy be emboldening the organized groups responsible for destroying dozens of vehicles overnight?
After back-to-back weeks of massive car break-ins, what new surveillance tactics will police deploy to finally catch these elusive vandals?